Interestingly enough, I think there have been a lot of independent (‘indie’) authors out there who have attempted to ‘decry’ this website for passing judgment of quality on a blurb, novel, or book cover without having any honest credentials. In what sense do I have a right to ‘judge’ the quality of a book and belittle the authors who have attempted to put sweat and blood into the storyline?
The answer: None.
However, as a reader, I have a series of expectations to uphold while I am dealing with a work of fiction or non-fiction in my hands. Furthermore, there are some valid credentials that I possess that allow me to make a fair and honest critique of the work. My experiences and credentials may be limited, but that does not make my assessments of someone else’s work ‘invalid’ or ‘relative’. After all, who does not want a (favorable) review?
The purpose of this section is for any author (including myself) to have a point of reference and standard of measurement whenever they seek a critique. Whether self-published authors judge themselves or ask me for an opinion, this section here is designed for them as guidelines to compare their works by.
The comprise of advice, tips, and tricks to better writing featured in this section comes explicitly from a collection of several different sources:
- The First Five Pages, Noah Lukeman
- Self-Editing for Fiction Writers, Renni Browne and Dave King
- Edit Yourself: A Manual For Everyone Who Works with Words, Bruce-Ross Larson
- Three Genres: The Writing of Fiction/Literary Non-Fiction, Poetry, and Drama, Stephen Minot
- The Elements of Style, William Strunk, Jr. and E.B. White
- Bullies, Bastards, and Bitches: How to Write the Bad Guys of Fiction, Jessica Page Morrell
- Word Painting: A Guide to Writing More Descriptively, Rebecca McClanahan
These standards put forth in by the critiques I make and tips I offer are coming from other literary professionals; they are not just my opinions. For those who dislike the method of critique I use for any writer or, is willing to discount the seriousness of my review, feel free to order any of the books I’ve listed. Their answers are no different than mine.